Fear of failure is a spontaneous emotion; hence it has a severe consequence on your performance. Still, don’t let it push you away from being optimistically focused on your own goals and road to success.
Success is a building process that can start with a failure but as Winston Churchill said: “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm”.
Even, J. K. Rowling had her share of rejections as her Harry Potter’s manuscript was only accepted after 12 publishers denied it, but her determination turned her into the bestselling one of the best-selling authors of all time. So, the actions you take to face failure are critical to your recovery plan, and it has a huge impact on how others can see your positive spirit towards your own mistakes.
So, here are some actions recommended for you to take whenever you are facing failure:
- Admit your own mistakes: If you’ve made a mistake, don’t let others point to them, while you are setting and hoping that no one will notice because someone is going to—it’s inevitable. As others point to your mistakes it will be interpreted as cowardice or ignorance. Have the intelligence to speak up.
- Offer explanations but make no excuses: Owning your mistakes can actually enhance your image. It shows confidence, accountability, and integrity, responsibility and reliability. Indeed it might even turn to trust. Just make sure that you always stick to the facts. Like, “We lost the client because I missed the deadline” is a reason. “We lost the account because I was traveling all weekend and that made me miss the deadline” is an excuse.
- Have a plan for fixing things: Owning your mistakes is one thing, but don’t stand there. What you do next is the real test. Don’t just stand there and let others offer you advice. It is better that you come up with your solutions and take specific steps to get everything back on track.
- Prevent yourself the same mistakes: So, you had everything fixed up, you should also have a prevention plan to avoid repeating the same mistakes, and this will reflect that a good thing will come out of your failure.
- Get back on track: Don’t hesitate; just take your time to absorb the lesson, and then get back on your road to success. It’s your attitude toward your failure that matters always use it to your advantage to enhance your performance.
This requires strength and emotional intelligence. So, when the time comes to the emotionally based actions remember these following attitudes:
- Perspective: is the most important factor in handling failure. People are overturned failure into success are more realizing that failure is the reason for something they did rather than something that they are. On the other hand, people who are inferior to handling failure tended to explain it as lack of intelligence or some other personal quality, which signify having no control in other situations. That makes them avoid future risk-taking.
- Optimism: is the feeling of positivity, which is another characteristic of people who bounce back from failure. They are on the road to success. That sense of optimism is what keeps people from feeling like that failure is a permanent condition. Instead, they tend to see each failure as a building block to their ultimate success because of the learning it provides.
- Persistence: is what you do with your positive feelings. It’s optimism in action. When everybody else says, “Enough is enough” and decides to quit and go home, be one of those persistent people shake off those failures and keep going. Persistent people are special because their optimism never dies. They are like archers always shooting to hit the perfect X on their target, over and over again. This makes them great at rising from failure.
This proves that failure is a matter of your own perspective. Some consider it as a defeat, while others see it as a minor block on the road. There for the way you handle failure will have a better impact on yourself and on the way others see you. Now, how will you handle your failure?
This post is also available in: Arabic
In this article