STEM Technical Component Managers and Experts
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Teacher Education and School Strengthening
Virginia Tech seeks education experts and specialists for an anticipated five-year STEM teacher education and school strengthening activity in Egypt. The project aims to support the expansion and sustainability of STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education by preparing candidate teachers to deliver STEM curricula, adopt evolving STEM teaching methodologies, and engage in research innovation, in addition to strengthening STEM pre-service and in‐service (professional development) programs. Additionally, the project will support Faculties of Education at Egyptian public universities to develop, deliver, and sustain high-quality STEM teacher education and preparation programs. It will also institutionalize knowledge, roles, and processes and build sustainable capacities and support systems within the Egypt’s education ministries to maintain existing STEM schools as well as replicate and scale up the STEM education model nationwide.
We are looking for individuals who have experience improving teacher’s pre-service and in-service STEM preparation, working with STEM schools, and with the relevant ministries and universities. We anticipate the following position responsibilities:
• Sharing new knowledge/evidence and best practices related to STEM teacher education and educational reform at the university and pre-university levels
• Supporting/guiding a team of technical experts to assess and design STEM professional development training packages, including course design, curriculum development, and training delivery.
• Provide technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of STEM education methods and strategies, current practice, and established standards to ensure quality and rigorous programs.
• Work with the project team in developing partnerships with various stakeholders including USAID, education ministries, local government and other partners.
• Provide advice and support to STEM school strengthening in the context of relevant national policies and current and planned education system reforms.
• Help develop and deliver STEM leadership training programs for school directors and administrators, staff from the Ministries of Education and Higher Education, and for university faculty
• Support delivery of training-of-trainer (ToT) for teacher trainers and university faculty in STEM subject matter and pedagogy for both in- and pre-service programs.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
• Post-graduate degree in education, M.Ed. or M.Sc.; PhD preferred.
• Significant experience (i.e., minimum of 5 years) in teacher education, both at pre-service and/or in-service levels, preferably with a STEM focus.
• Knowledge related to at least 3 of the following areas: STEM subject-matter and STEM-based learning; student-centered and inquiry-based pedagogy; training needs assessments; training program organization and delivery; curriculum and materials development; educational evaluation; school leadership/management strengthening; and higher education.
• Understanding of the Egyptian education system, its policies and reform plans, needs and issues.
• Experience in international development projects.
• Skilled at building effective working relationships.
• Excellent writing and presentation ability.
• Ability to organize learning and sharing opportunities between project and external stakeholders on a regular basis.
• Experience working constructively with high-level government counterparts.
• Proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic languages required.
Please send cover letter, resume or CV, and salary history to OIREDJobs@gmail.com with “[Your name] - VT Egypt STEM position” in the title of the email.